On an average, it can cost up to £200,000 to raise a baby in the UK but you don’t have to worry because you can use the below mentioned tips to save yourself some money while the baby is on the way.
How to Save Pennies
- The author of “How to Afford Time Off with Your Baby, Becky Goddard-Hill says, “Don’t be tempted to buy fancy muslin cloths, but look for cheap, plain white muslins in the supermarket,” Looking for the cheaper muslin cloths in the cleaning section of a supermarket can help save a lot of money.
- Signing up for shop loyalty cards can save you a reasonable amount of money. You get four points for every £1 spent on Boots. One point is usually an equivalent of a penny. You can let them add up and buy a bulk supply of nappies for you kid.
- A lot mums get many new-born clothes on the arrival of the kid and do you think you have some spare ones? “Take a few packs back and change them for the next size up. That way you get more wear out of your freebies.” says Becky.
How to Save Pounds
- A lot of upgrades and changes have been made to the benefit system in the past few months and you should make sure that you avail them because you are eligible for them. According to Archna Luthra of www.moneysavingexpert.com:
“Do a five-minute benefit check at www.turn2us.org.uk, all you have to do is enter your details and the rest of the work is done for you.”
- You can survive a couple of more weeks in your trusty jeans by using a belly band even if the pants don’t button up. You will have to look out for a maternity pair on a longer run but using this technique will allow you to only go for one style at the end.
- You will be doing a lot of washing when the baby comes and looking for washing powder deals and then stocking up on them can help save a lot of pounds. Make sure you go for the non-biological brands that help avoid any skin irritations or allergies in newborns.
- Becky suggests that:
“Before you buy new paint to decorate your nursery, ask a friend whose color scheme you like where they got their paint from and see if they have any left,”
Family and friends always love to help in such scenarios and they would appreciate the fact that you are following their taste.
- Make sure that you get the maternity exemption form from your midwife. NHS offers free dental treatment and prescriptions to pregnant women until the baby is one year old.
- There might be a lot of stretch mark creams available in the market but if you like, you can go with the olive oil too. You don’t have to use a lot of it and you will also notice your skin becoming softer and smoother with its application.
- You can also save by getting free samples of nappies and baby wipes, there are many out there that will offer you with fantastic offers.